Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Oh Poor Fool



Well I have to say I think King Lear is about 10x as dramatic and depressing  as Hamlet. At least in Hamlet there was some vengeance for all that accrued. King Lear, like in any good Shakespeare play, had everything in the beginning and was left with nothing in the end. I may find this one more emotional because it is based more on the father- daughter relationship and what happens when the father gets older and how he is treated and regarded. People have choices in life and  since I have a great relationship with my dad, I would have to say that I would never make him go mad(although I'm sure he'd say otherwise).   I know King Lears madness is what makes him King Lear, just like Hamlets madness makes him Hamlet, but I can not see why he would not have just taken up his knights and gone to find Cordelia after his other daughters had been so terrible to him. Would that not make more sense? And yet that would have made for a terrible play.

I think there is something to be said about the suffering of others that makes us understand our selves better. Not so much that we would act according to our thoughts but that it brings awareness to the actions that may be brought up at a different time.

No comments:

Post a Comment