Thursday, February 21, 2013

Hamlet comes in many forms...







It is just a Thursday night, nothing too special. My roommates and I went and had dinner with friends at The Garage. Such a great place to just relax and hang out. Get a beer and some good food with great company, what's not to like?On our way back home, one of my roommates started to tell me things about herself that I hadn't realized before. Things that I had lived with for months and hadn't noticed because I thought that she had been upset with me....slap to the face.
We started talking and got into a pretty deep discussion: mostly about life and the worries we both have, the future and the way our society is going, and how we are to change such things. And then she said this amazing bit (paraphrasing here and not as wonderful as how she said it), " We are all so small and insignificant and the things we do are so small but the way we are taught to think about everything is so big! We're ignorant for thinking such things matter, even though such things matter so much to us." Like I said, I can't remember how she said it exactly but I think this is the gist of it. Here we are having this deep conversation and all I can think as I sit there is "Wow, that was the best piece of Hamlet I've ever heard!" I think I ruined the moment by saying that out loud but it was true and I think that it is something that Hamlet has to deal with as well. I think it is something that all young people have to deal with; having to see the future in a bigger picture and then realizing that much of it really doesn't matter in the end..
Interesting thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment